Factors Affecting Investment in Mutual Funds
Varun Sagar Singal and Dr. Rishi Manrai
- UG Student, Symbiosis Center for Management Studies, NOIDA
- Assistant Professor, Symbiosis Center for Management Studies, NOIDA
Mutual funds act as a medium for retail investors
to invest their savings in the professional funds
management system, irrespective of the sum
invested. It enables masses to enter the Indian
Financial Market with much more ease. Indian
Mutual Funds industry is growing rapidly
which is reflected with the growth in assets under
management under various AMC’s year on year.
Investment in mutual funds is less risky when
compared to investment in equities market.
Less risk combined with moderate returns and
professional management act as a magnet for the
risk averse investors to invest their savings in the
This project aims at finding out the factors
affecting investment decision on mutual funds and
the impact of behavioral factors on an investor.
This project also aims at finding about the factors
that prevent the people to invest in mutual funds.
The findings will help mutual fund companies
to identify the areas required for improvement
and can also improve their marketing strategies.
It will help the MF companies to create new and
innovative product according to the orientation
Investor perception cites a significant impact
on the investment decision making process. It is
important to understand few basic factors such as
level of awareness and impact of date of inception of the fund which play a significant role in
guiding the investment decision making process
of a retail investor.
Mutual Fund Performance, Invest-
ment, Risk-returns, Factors Affecting, Behavior
- Addleman, S. (1962), “Orthogonal main-effect
plans for asymmetrical factorial experiments”,
Technometrics, Vol. 4, February, pp. 21-46.
- Ang, J.S., Chen, C.R. and Lin, J.W.
(1998), “Mutualfund managers’ efforts and
performance’’, The Journal of Investing, winter,
pp. 68-75. Asiaweek (2001), 4 May.
- Auty, S. (1995), “Using conjoint analysis in
industrial marketing”, Industrial Marketing
Management, Vol. 24, pp. 191-206.
- Blake, C.R., Elton, E.J. and Gruber, M.J.
(1993), “The performance of bond mutual
funds”, Journal of Business, Vol. 66, pp. 371-403.
- Bogle, J.C. (1992), “Selecting equity
mutualfunds”, Journal of Portfolio Management,
Vol. 18, winter, pp. 94-100.
- Bragge, J. (2001), “Premeditation analysis of the
energy taxation dispute in Finland”, European
Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 132 No. 1,
- Brown, B.J. and Goetzman, W. (1995),
“Performance persistence”, Journal of finance,
Vol. 50, pp. 679-98.
- Brown, B.J. and Goetzman, W. (1997),
“Mutualfund styles”, Journal of Financial
Economics, Vol. 43, pp. 373-99.
- Brown, S.J., Goetzman, W., Ibbotson, R.G.
and Ross, S. (1992), “Survivorship bias in
performance studies”, Review of Financial
Studies, Vol. 5, pp. 553-80.
- Capon, N., Fitzsimons, G.J. and Weingarten,
R. (1994), “Affluent investors and mutual
fund purchases”, International Journal of Bank
Marketing, Vol. 12 No. 3, pp. 17-25.
- Carhart, M.M. (1997), “On persistence in mutual fund performance”, Journal of Finance,
Vol. 52, March, pp. 57-82.
- Carrol, J.D. and Green, P. (1995), “Psychometric
methods in marketing research”, Journal of
Marketing Research, Vol. 32, pp. 385-91.
- Cattin, P. and Wittink, R.R. (1982),
“Commercial use of conjoint analysis: A survey”,
Journal of Marketing, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 44-53.
- Chen, C.R., Lee, C.F., Rahman, S. and Chan,
A. (1992), “A cross-sectional analysis of mutual
fund’s market timing and security selection.
- J. Lilly and Anasuya (2014), “An empirical study
of performance evaluation of selected ELSS
mutual fund schemes”, International journal of
- Lonnie L. Bryant, Hao-Chen Liu (2011),
“Mutual fund industry management structure,
risk and the impacts to share holders”, Global
- Gupta (1994), Surveyed household investor to
find investors’ preferences to invest in mutual
funds and other available financial assets.
- Archana Goel, Laveena, A Comparative Study
on Performance Analysis of Debt and Equity
Schemes at HDFC Mutual Funds with Reference
to Birla Sun Life and ICICI Prudential Debt and
Equity Mutual Funds.
- P. Alekhya, “A Study on Performance Evaluation
of Public & Private Sector Mutual Funds in
India”, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing &
Management Review, Vol. 1, No. 2, October
- R. Karrupasamy and V. Vanaja, “A Study on the
Performance of Selected Large Cap and Small &
Mid Cap Mutual Fund Schemes in India, The
international of management.