An empirical study to Understand the Factors
that Influences Consumer Buying Behavior
in Organized Housing Projects with Special
Reference to Delhi-NCR.
Shamsher Singh and Ameet Sao
- Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Professional Studies, Sector 11, Dwarka, New Delhi 110075, India
- RICS School of Built Environment, Block-F2, Fifth Floor, Amity University, Sector -125Noida 201301, (UP) India
Indian housing sector is growing at a very rapid
rate. There is a great demand for organized
houses. This study takes up the question of buying
behavior and the reason for the preference of
Housing Projects in a wide context. It tries
to identify the existing market structure for
the product and the factors influencing the
customers to buy Housing projects as well as to
analyze the purchase behavior of customers in
preferring the choice of a House. To prepare an
effective marketing strategy, a company must do
competitor analysis, pest analysis, value chain
analysis, swot analysis as well as its potential and
prospect customer. This is especially necessary in a
developing economy because sales can be gained
only by winning them away from competitor’s
offerings. The marketing activities through
sales promotion and social media tactics has
increased significantly in promoting sales and
preparing the ground for future expansion. The
use of social media sites as part of a company’s marketing strategy has increased significantly in
the past couple of years. The study has used the
primary data to analyze the significant factors
through ANOVA, and Factor analysis which
differ across different demographic variables such
as age, income, education, occupation, gender &
Organized Housing, Marketing
Strategy, prospective customer, social media
- Aaker. (1991). Managing Brand Equity:
Capitalizing on the Value of a Brand Name. New
York: The Free Press.
- Acar, A. & Polonsky, M. (2007). Online
social networks and insights into marketing
communications. Journal of Internet Commerce,
- Adrian Palmer, N. K.-L. (2009). an experiential,
social network-based approach to direct
marketing. International Journal of Direct
Marketing, 162 - 176.
- Ball, M. and Harloe, M. (2005), “Uncertainty in
European housing markets”, in Kleinman, M.,
Matznetter, W., Stephens, M. (Eds), European
Integration and Housing Policy, Routledge, New
Fetter Lane, London, pp. 57-74.
- Boelhower, P., Doling, J., Elsinga, M. and
Ford, J. (2005), “Gains and losses for European
home owners”, in Boelhower, P., Doling, J. and
Elsinga, M. (Eds), Home Ownership: Getting in,
Getting from, Getting out, Onderzoeks instituut
OTB, Haveka, Alblasserdam, pp. 1-18.
- Borsch-Supan, A., Hank, K., Jurges, H. and
Schro¨der, M. (2009), “Introduction: empirical
research on health, ageing and retirement in
Europe”, Journal of European Social Policy, Vol.
19, p. 293.
- Brinlee D (2007). Does Internet Advertising
- Bronner, F. & De Hoog, R. (2010). Consumer-
generated versus marketer-generated websites in
consumer decision making. International Journal
of Market Research, 52(2), 231–248.
- Bulmer, D. and V. DiMauro(2003) “The
New Symbiosis of Professional Networks:
Social Media’s Impact on Business and
Decision-Making,” The Society for New Communications Research, 2010, available at
Boyd, D. M., & Ellison, N. B. (2007).
Social Network Sites: Definition, History and
Scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 13(1), 210–230.
- Chaffey D (2003). Internet Marketing, Strategy,
Implementation and Practise. 2nd edition,
Pearson Education Limited, pp. 115-186.
- Chau, Patrick Y.K., Melissa Cole, Anne P.
Massey, Mitzi Montoya-Weiss and Robert M. O
- Keefe (2002). Cultural differences in the
online behavior of consumers. Association for
Computing Machinery. Communications of the
ACM, 45 (10), 138–143.
- Chen, Y., Fay, S. & Wang, Q. (2011). The
role of marketing in social media: How online
consumer reviews evolve. Retrieved 17 May
2013, from http://ssrn.com/abstract=1710357
- Conroy, P., &Narula, A. (2010). A new breed
of brand advocates - Social networking redefines
consumer engagement. Delloite.
- Curtis, A. (2011). The brief history of social
media. Retrieved from http://www.uncp.
- Darrel, R. (2011). The future of shopping.
Harvard Business Review, 89(12), 64–75.
- David, F.D. (1988). Perceived usefulness,
perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of
information technology. MIS Quarterly, 13(3),
- Donath J, Boyd D (2004). Public displays of
connection. BT Technol. J., pp. 71-82.
- Doyle, S. (2007). The role of social networks
in marketing. Journal of Database Marketing &
Customer Strategy Management, 15(1), 60–64.
- Edelman, D. (2010). Gaining an edge through
digital marketing. McKinsey Quarterly, (3), 129–
134. DOI: 0047- 5394.
- Eric E (2008). 2008 Growth Puts Face book
In Better Position to Make Money. http://
- Filo, K., & Funk, D.C. (2005). Congruence
between attractive product features and
virtual content delivery for Internet marketing
communication. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 14,
- Fishbein, M. & Ajzen, I. (1975). Belief, attitude,
intention, and behavior: An introduction to theory
and research. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Graham, Jeffery & Havlena, William (2007).
Finding the ‘missing link’: Advertising’s impact
on word-of-mouth, web searches, and site visits.
Journal of Advertising Research, 47 (4), 427–435.
- Hansen, W.G. (1959), “How accessibility shapes
land use”, Journal of the American Planning
- Association, Vol. 25 No. 2, pp. 73-6.
- Hans Baumgartner, Mita Sujan & Dan Padgett
(1997). Patterns of affective reactions to Ads:
Integration of moment-by-moment reactions
into overall judgments. Journal of Marketing
Research, May, 219–232.
- HogE, C.C. (1993). The electronic marketing
manual. McGraHil: New York, NY.
http://www.managementjournals.com , http://www.rncos.
- Jason Fitzpatrick, “Establish and Maintain Your
Online Identity,” Lifehacker (blog), May 5,
- Karsten, L. (2007), “Housing as a way of life:
towards an understanding of middle-class families’ preference for an urban residential
location”, Housing Studies, Vol. 22, p. 83.
- Khanna, R. M. (2010, August 6). Aircel Enters
Punjab. The Tribune.
- McKinsey. (2007). How companies are
marketing Online: A McKinsey Global Survey
King, P. (2009), Understanding Housing Finance:
Meeting Needs and Making Choices, Routledge,
- Kim, T.-K., Horner, M.W. and Marans, R.W.
(2005), “Life cycle and environmental factors in
selecting residential and job locations”, Housing
Studies, Vol. 20, p. 457.
- Kuznets, Simon S., and Ernest Rubin. (1954).
Immigration and the foreign born. New York:
National Bureau of Economic Research. Lavidge,
R.J. & Steiner, G.A. A model for predictive
measurements of advertising effectiveness.
Journal of Marketing, 1961, 59–62.
- Leinberger, C.B.(2008).The nex tslum?Atlantic
Monthly, available at http://www.theatlantic.
- Li, H., Kuo, C. and Rusell, M. G. (1999).
The impact of perceived channel utilities,
shopping orientations, and demographics on
the consumer’s online buying behavior. Journal
of Computer-Mediated Communication, 5. Doi:
- Liu, M. & Xiao, Y. (2008). Relationship between
consumer satisfaction and web consumer
shopping behaviour. International Journal of
Business Research, 8(5), 127–136.
- Loudon, D.L. (1988), Consumer behaviour:
Concepts and applications. London: McGraw
Hill. M.H. Huang/Computers in Human
Behavior, 19 (2003), 425–442.
- Nicole K (2007). Building a Brand through Social
Networks, http:/ /mashable.com/ 2007/05/
08/ brand-social-networks/ Ricadela A (2007). Fogeys Flock to Facebook, Business Week.
- Nguyen, Q.H. (2013), “Housing investment:
what makes it so volatile? Theory and evidence
from OECD countries”, Journal of Housing
Economics, Vol. 22 No. 3, pp. 163-178.
- Nordvik, V. (2006), “Selective housing policy
in local housing markets and the supply of
housing”, Journal of Housing Economics, Vol. 15
No. 4, pp. 279-292.
- O’Reilly, T. (2005, April 6). What is web 2.0?
Retrieved June 12, 2011, from www.oreilly.
- Oikarinen, E. (2009), “Household borrowing
and metropolitan housing price dynamics –
empirical evidence from Helsinki”, Journal of
Housing Economics, Vol. 18 No. 2, pp. 126-139.
- Oikarinen, E. (2012), “Empirical evidence on
the reaction speeds of housing price and sales to
demand shocks”, Journal of Housing Economics,
Vol. 21 No. 1, pp. 41-54.
- Patrick, Y.C. & Massey, A.P. (2002). Cultural
differences in the online behaviour of consumers.
Communications of the ACM, 45(10), 138–143.
- Power, D. J. “What is social media?” DSS News,
Vol. 11, No. 9, April 24, 2011.
- Reppel, A. & Szmigin, I. (2010). Consumer-
managed profiling: A contemporary interpretation
of privacy in buyer-seller interactions. Journal
of Marketing Management, 26(3/4), 321–342.
- Rutz, J.O. & Bucklin, E.R. (2011). From generic
to branded: A model of spillover in paid search
advertising. Journal of Marketing Research, 48(1),
87–102. DOI: 10.1509/ jmkr.48.1.87.
- Social media from Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia, available at http://en.wikipedia.
- TNS, TRU & Marketing evolution. (2007).
Never Ending Friending - A Journey into Social
Networking. Fox Interactive Media, Inc.
- Schiffman, L.G. (1993). Consumer behavior.
London: Prentice Hall International.
- Scott DM (2009). The New Rules of Marketing
and PR. John Wiley & Sons Inc., pp. 135-150.
- Shih C (2009). The Facebook Era. Tapping
online social networks to build better products,
reach new audiences and selling more stuff.
Prentice Hall Publication, pp. 85-128.
- Smith, P.R. & CHAFFEY, D. (2005).
e-Marketing excellence: At the heart of e-business
(2nd ed.). Oxford, UK : Butterworth
- Spilker-Attig, A. (2010). Effectiveness of online
advertising channels: A price-level-dependent
analysis. Journal of Marketing Management,
- Strauss, J, El-Ansary, A. & Frost. R. (2006).
E-marketing (4 th ed.). Pearson Pretince Hall.
- Strong, E.K. (1925). Theories of selling. Journal
of Applied Psychology, 9, 75–86.
- Stroud D. (2007). Opinion piece: Falling in
Love 2.0: Relationship marketing for the Face
book generation. Social networking: An age-
neutral commodity-Social networking becomes
a mature web application, pp.105-165
- Taylor, D. et al. (2011). Friends, fans, and
followers: Do ads work on social networks?
Journal of Advertising Research, 51(1), 258–275.
- Taylor, D.G., Lewin, J.E. & Strutton, D.
(2011). Friends, fans, and followers: Do ads
work on social networks? Journal of Advertising
Research, 51(1), 258–275.
- Thomas, G.E. (2008). Internet marketing in the
international arena: A cross-cultural comparison.
Journal of International Business Strategy, 8(3),
- Thompson SH (2002). Attitudes toward online
shopping and the internet. National university of
- Tiwari, P. (2000), “Housing demand in Tokyo”,
International Real Estate Review, Vol. 3 No. 1,
- Turner, T.M. (2003), “Does investment risk
affect the housing decisions of families?”,
Economic Inquiry, Vol. 41 No. 4, pp. 675-691.
- Van Heerde, Harald J., Kristiaan Helsen &
Marnik Dekimpe (2007). The impact of a
product-harm crisis on marketing effectiveness.
Marketing Science, 26(2), 230–245.
- Weber L (2009). Marketing to the Social Web.
Second Edition. John Wiley and Sons, pp. 58-
- Vogt, C., &Knapman, S. (2008). The Atanomy
of social networks. Market leaders, 40(3), 46-51.
- Wang, F. (2003). Housing improvement and
distribution in urban China: Initial evidence
from China’s 2000 Census. The China Review,
- Yannopoulos, P. (2011). Impact of the Internet
on marketing strategy formulation. International
Journal of Business & Social Science, 2(18), 1–7.