Corporate Governance Practices of Indian Public
Sector and Private Sector Banks
Jatinder Kaur and Ashish Pareek
- Department of Humanities & Applied Sciences T R Abhilashi Memorial Institute of Engineering & Technology, Tanda, Mandi (Himachal Pardesh)
- Department of Management Studies, Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati University, Ajmer, Rajasthan
Banks play a major role in providing credit to the
productive sectors of the economy as well as act
as facilitators of financial inclusion and foremost
source of employment. Whereas, the Banking
Sector Acts as catalysts in promoting the growth
of economy, these also possess the capability to
cause calamity to an economy. Well governed
banks have the ability to cope up with risk
associated with them and benefit to the economy.
The present study is an attempt to investigate the
Corporate Governance practices being adopted
by the Indian Public Sector Banks and Private
Sector Banks. For this purpose, two Public Sector
Banks and Private Sector Banks have been
selected taking into account the top banks in the
BSE 100 index ranked on the basis of market
capitalization. In order to study the quality of
Corporate Governance practices of the banks,
an assessment tool – Corporate Governance
Disclosure Index (CGDI) has been developed.
The data has been collected from the annual
reports of the banks from the financial year 2002
to 2014. Further, to investigate the difference in
both the sector banks, student’s t-test has been
applied. The findings of the study reveal that
both the sector banks have significant difference with respect to Board related parameters,
Remuneration Committee sub-index and Non-
Corporate Governance, Corporate
Governance Disclosure Index
- Brahmbhatt, M., Patel, R., & Patel, S. (2012). An
Empirical Investigation of Corporate Governance
Scenario in Public vs Private banks in India.
International Journal of Marketing, Financial
Services & Management Research, 1(10), 10-28.
- Brown, L. D., & Caylor, M.L. (2006). Corporate
Governance and Firm Valuation. Journal of
Accounting and Public Policy, 25, 409–434.
- Cheung, Y-L., Jiang,P. & Tan, W. (2010).
A transparency Disclosure Index measuring
disclosures: Chinese listed companies. J. Account.
Public Policy, 29, 259–280.
- Chilumuri, S.R. (2013) Corporate Governance
in Banking Sector: A Case Study of State bank of
India. IOSR Journal of Business and Management,
8 (1), 15-20.
- Deb, R. (2013). Corporate Governance Practices
in Idnian Banks. Journal of Business Management
& Social Sciences Research, 2(5), 36-50.
- Fernando, A.C. (2012), Corporate Governance,
Pearson ed., New Delhi
- HDFC (2014). Corporate Governance. Retrieved
from HDFC Bank: http://www.hdfcbank.com/
aboutus /cg/ Corporate_Governance.htm
- ICICI. (2014). Investor Relations. Retrieved
from ICICI Bank: http://www.icicibank.com/
- IDRBT (2004). Governance Issues in Banking.
Retrieved on Sept 02 2014 from www.idrbt.
- Katrodia, A. (2012). Corporate Governance
Practices in the Banking Sector. Abhinav journal
of research in Commerce and Management, 1(4),
- Kaur, J., Pareek, A., & Upadhaya, G. (2014).
Corporate Governance: An Indian Perspective
on Disclosure and Transparency Issues. Journal
of Contemporary Research in Management, 9(2).
- Kumar, N., & Singh, M. (2015). An Analysis
of Corporate Governance Practices in Banking
Sector with reference to State Bank of India
and HDFC Bank. Acme International Journal of
Multidisciplinary Research, 3(2), 142-147
- Mehran, H., & Mollineaux, L. (2012).
Corporate Governance of Financial Institutions.
Federal Reserve Bank of New York Staff Reports,
- Mishra, R.K., & Rao, N.R. (2013). Report of
Priority Areas for Reforms of Corporate Governance
in Indian Banking Sector. Hyderabad: NFCG
- Nasha, A. (2008). Does Foreign Direct
Governance? Evidence from Thailand. Discussion
- Punjab National Bank (2014). Investor
Information. Retrieved from Punjab National
- Reddy, Y.V. (2002). Public Sector Banks and
The Governance Challenge: Indian Experience.
- Reddy, Y.V. (2005). Banking Corporate
Governance in Banks in India. Speech at IIM
- Sarkar, J., & Sarkar, S. (2012). Corporate
governance in India. SAGE Publications India.
- Sarkar, J., Sarkar, S., & Sen, K. (2012). A
Corporate Governance Index for Large Listed
Companies in India. Working Paper-2012-009.
Mumbai: Indira Gandhi Institute of
- State Bank of India. (2014). Corporate
Governance. Retrieved March 14, 2014, from
State Bank of India – The Banker to Every
- Tyagi et al. (2013) Corporate Governance
Practices in India: A Comparative Study of
Selected Banks, International Research Journal of
Social Science and Management, 3(8), 175-183.