ANTECEDENTS OF RECOMMENDATION FRAMEWORK ENABLED THROUGH ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE ON NETFLIX PLATFORM
Aman Tibrewal, Rupashi Sehgal, Dr. Shikha Singh
Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies, NOIDA, Symbiosis International (Deemed University), Pune India
With the rising technological advancements, various
tools like Artificial Intelligence and recommendation
are utilized by companies to gain an upper edge in
the markets. This paper aims to gain a deeper
understanding of how Netflix uses Artificial
Intelligence to enable effective usage of the
recommendation engines in their business model. To
conduct an effective study, this paper follows a
triangulation method, under which a literature
review was conducted initially to gain a conceptual
understanding of the topic. Based on it, structured
personal interviews and a survey was conducted.
Lastly, a quantitative analysis was executed to gain
a deeper insight into the data as collected. This
paper aims to gain a deeper insight into the
functioning of recommendation systems for Netflix’s
Over-the-top (OTT) media services. The paper also
focuses upon the usage of Artificial Intelligence
technology which acts as a key enabler for
Recommendation Engines for efficient and effective
utilization to gain a competitive advantage for
Netflix. This paper is of value to each individual who
seeks to understand the mind behind the model of
Netflix and how the user interface allows them to
collect data and research upon the viewing habits of
their users. It moreover also focuses on the
integration of Artificial intelligence in the
Recommendation engine at Netflix.
Recommendation Engine, Netflix, Over-
the-top (OTT) Media Service, Artificial Intelligence
- Ansari, A., Essegaier, S., & Kohli, R. (2000).
Internet Recommendation Systems. Journal of
- Bartlett, M. S. (1951). The effect of
standardization on a χ 2 approximation in factor
analysis. Biometrika, 38 (3/4), 337–344.Brown, T. A. (2015). Confirmatory factor analysis for
applied research. New York: The Guilford Press.
- Codecademy. (2020). Netflix Recommendation
- DeVellis, R. F. (2012). Scale development: Theory
and applications (3rd ed). California: Sage
- Gomez-Uribe, C. A., & Hunt, N. (2015). The
netflix recommender system: Algorithms,
Transactions on Management Information
Systems (TMIS), 6(4), 1-19.
- Gorsuch, R. L. (2014). Exploratory factor
analysis. New York: Routledge.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson,
R. E. (2010). Multivariate data analysis. New
Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Haton, J. P. (2006). A brief introduction to
artificial intelligence. IFAC Proceedings
Volumes, 39(4), 8-16.
- Havens, T. (2018). Netflix: Streaming channel
brands as global meaning systems. In from
Networks to Netflix (pp. 321-331). Routledge.
- Heale, R., & Forbes, D. (2013). Understanding
triangulation in research. Evidence-based nursing,
- Kaiser, H. F., & Rice, J. (1974). Little jiffy, mark
iv. Educational and Psychological Measurement,
34 (1), 111–117.
- Kotu, V., & Deshpande, B. (2019).
Recommendation engines. Data Science (Second
- Liftigniter. (2016, March 15). The Power of
Netflix’s Personalized Video Recommendations.
- Maxxor. (2017). Netflix’s Cultural Influence on
Global Culture. (https://www.maxxor.com/)
- Pilipets, E. (2019). From Netflix Streaming to
Netflix and Chill: The (Dis) Connected Body of
Serial Binge-Viewer. Social Media + Society,
- Rose, J. A. (1988). Expert Systems by A. Bonnet,
JP Haton, JM Truong-Ngoc Prentice Hall, New
York, 1988 (£ 11.95). Robotica, 6(4), 343-344.
- Salton, G., & Buckley, C. (1988). Term-weighting
approaches in automatic text retrieval.
Information processing & management, 24(5),
- Shapiro, S. C. (1992). Encyclopedia of artificial
intelligence second edition. John.
- Thurmond, V. A. (2001). The point of
triangulation. Journal of nursing scholarship,
- Victor. (2007, February 14). Netflix’s
Competitive Advantage. (Victor, Ed.) Internet,
- Vom Brocke, J. and Sinnl, T. (2011), "Culture in
business process management: a literature
review", Business Process Management Journal,
- Webster, J., & Watson, R. T. (2002). Analyzing
the past to prepare for the future: Writing a
literature review. MIS quarterly, xiii-xxiii.
- Wildemuth, B. M. (Ed.). (2016). Applications of
social research methods to questions in
information and library science. ABC-CLIO.
- Yan, J. (2017). Identifying Online Streaming User
Value in the Netflix Recommendation System.